When the recent storms swept across the eastern states, many homeowners and business owners were left with so much storm damage cleanup they’re simply overwhelmed. The subsequent power outages didn’t help either.
Storms like Derechos and other natural disasters can bring out the best, and unfortunately, the worst in people. There are always folks out there who may try to take advantage of emergency situations.
However, by following a few practical guidelines, you can help protect yourself, your home, and your business from additional loss during storm damage cleanup.
So here’s the short list of “do’s” and “don’ts” after storm damage:
- 1. Do: try to work with local or known contractors. The very best way to find good restoration contractors is to contact your friends and neighbors to see who they trust. Then, verify the business with the Yellow Pages, Google, Merchant Circle, or other online vetting organization.
- 2. Do: ask to see the contractor’s licenses or certificates. Tip: The numbers should be visible to you on the trucks as required by state law in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- 3. Do: pay with a check or a credit card. Beware of a contractor who tries to pressure you into paying by cash for storm damage cleanup. If an offer is only good “now or never,” find someone else.
4. But Don’t: Pay for all the work until it’s finished and you’re satisfied! In emergency situations, it’s normal and customary to make a reasonable down payment or pay an insurance deductible. But a warning signal that something’s fishy is a contractor that asks for everything “up front.”
5. And Don’t: give money to charity scam organizations that you’ve never heard of before. Donate only to groups you know and recognize.
Regardless of the circumstances – damage from storms or floods, or damage to your home or business from fire, smoke or even mold, call the experts at PuroClean Emergency Recovery Services office 877-750-7876. We’re the Paramedics of Property Damage™
Our professionals are standing by to mitigate the loss, prevent further damage, and provide storm damage cleanup and restoration services. We’ll return your home or business property to a pre-loss condition as quickly as possible.