1. Keep the humidity levels in check: Ideal humidity levels in your basement should be below 45% To do this, use a dehumidifier
2. Do not grow plants inside the basement
3. Keep your basement clutter free! Clutter disrupts the free flow of air in your basement and increases humidity – creating the perfect breeding ground for mold.
4. Use only plastic storage boxes & bins. Cardboard provides the perfect growth medium for mold!
5. Say ‘No’ to wood – Make sure that you are not storing wood in your basement. Wood makes for an ideal habitat for the mold to grow
6. Use an exhaust fan to vent out and stale and humid air and let fresh air in.
7. Insulate water pipes – cold water pipes cause condensation of moisture on the exterior of the pipes
8. Use extensions to drain gutter water away from the foundation of the house. See this You Tube video for more information from Settlers Home Inspections